EXTINCT TOWNS AND VILLAGES OF CLAIBORNE COUNTY BY 1902
GRAND GULF — The town of Grand Gulf received its name from the great whirlpool, or gulf, formed by the striking of the current of the river against a great rock. Flat-boats were often caught in this gulf and held for a day or two, unless pulled out by steamboats. The course of the river finally changed to the westward and left Grand Gulf to die.
The Grand Gulf Advertiser was a weekly paper, published at this place in the 1830's. A file of this paper for the years 1835 to 1839 is in the Library of the University of Mississippi. As late as 1858 or 1859, Grand Gulf was a town of 1,000 or 1,500 inhabitants. It was for years an important business place, being the shipping point for Port Gibson, which was ten or twelve miles to the southeast. In order to facilitate communication between these two towns, the Port Gibson and Grand Gulf railroad was built at an early date. The wharf at Grand Gulf was crowded with cotton from Copiah, Hinds, and Claiborne counties. This place was incorporated by the Legislature in February, 1833. Other acts, referring especially to the charter of this town, bear the dates, December, 1833 and 1848.
(This sketch was based upon information received from the late Judge H. F. Simrall.)
BRANDYWINE — The village of Brandywine was situated in Claiborne County about twenty miles southeast of Port Gibson. From 1830 to 1838 this place contained five business houses and saloons and a hotel with thirty-two rooms for guests who visited the springs for their health. The proprietor of the hotel was called "General Nichols." Early in the 1830's this place was a very popular health resort for people from different parts of Mississippi and Louisiana. Among the large number of citizens living near this place were the Bridges, who removed there from North Carolina in 1828.
The popularity of Brandywine springs as a health resort began to wane early in the 1840's, and this sealed the fate of the village. The present Brandywine (1902) consists of a church, a store, and post office, and a few other buildings.
(The information upon which this sketch was based was derived from Mr. J. D. Bridges, of Brandywine, Miss.)
BUCKLAND — The town of Buckland was situated in the southwestern part of Claiborne County. By 1836 this place had almost disappeared, only three or four houses being left to mark its former site, certain topographical changes having rendered it difficult of access. Its business was transferred to the south side of the bayou which extends along the southern boundary of Claiborne County, where the town of Rodney sprang up.
(This sketch was
based upon information derived from Dr. William G. Williams, of West Side,
Claiborne County, Miss. In writing of this place Dr. Williams says that "ten
or twelve years ago I could have found several persons who could have given
you all the information
taken from Riley, Franklin L. “Extinct Towns and Villages of Mississippi.” Publications of the Mississippi Historical Society, Vol. V, MHS, ed. Franklin Riley, Oxford, MS, 1902, pgs. 329-330.
submitted by Sue B.
"If you teach them where they come from, they won't need as much help finding where they are going!"
Cordelia Carothers " Aunt Dee" Geoghegan (1894-1987)
Copyright © 2005-Present by MSGenWeb Project. All rights reserved. Individual submissions remain property of copyright owner or submitter.
These pages may not be copied, altered, converted nor uploaded to any electronic system or BBS, nor linked from any "pay-for-view" site, or linked in such a manner as to appear to be an internal part of another site including but not limited to "frame" capturing, nor included in any software collection or print collection of any type without the express written permission
of the author and artist.