According to Henry S. Brashear in The Brashear-Brashears Family, Eden Brashear, in his will recorded in Claiborne County, Mississippi, left a sum of money to establish Brashear Academy at Port Gibson. He is buried on the bluff at Grand Gulf, and a handsome monument is erected to his memory there.
Mrs. Katie M. Headly in her Claiborne County, Mississippi: The Promised Land, states that “Among the schools to open in Port Gibson in the 1850’s was the Brashear Female Academy, which was erected in 1857.” A Miss Marvin served as the first principal, and the school continued until the Civil War.
From the Weekly Southern Reveille, June 13, 1857:
Brashear Female Academy
Miss M. Marvin, Principal
Miss S. M. Warner, Assistant Teacher in English, Latin, Drawing, Painting, etc.
Miss M. Shalk, Teacher in Music, French, German and Spanish
Miss Marvin takes this method of informing the public that the next session of her school will commence on Wednesday the 1st of October in the above named academy, which is now in the course of erection in the rear of the Presbyterian Church.
The principal finds it necessary to open a house for the accommodation of herself and teachers, which will enable her to board a limited number of pupils. The scholastic year will be divided into sessions of twenty weeks each. Instructions will be given in English, German, Spanish, and the Latin Language. Music upon Piano, Guitar, Organ, also Drawing, Painting, and Needlework taught.
Port Gibson, Aug. 17, 1856
1860 U. S. CENSUS – CLAIBORNE COUNTY , MISSISSIPPI
FACULTY AND STUDENTS BOARDING AT BRASHEAR ACADEMY
Aug. 3, 1860, Port Gibson, Mississippi, Roll 580. pages 505-506
Submitted by Sue B. Moore, firstname.lastname@example.org